Today is Indigenous People’s Day. It used to be Columbus Day. Thanks to the, primarily Indigenous, committed activists and organizers the monument to colonization and global white supremacy has been changed. This is not an insignificant victory as ideas matter. Ideas. Matter. I wonder when our education will reflect this truth?
When I think about education and the job facing the school board in the coming days, weeks, months and years I find myself thinking about ideas.
What are the ideas needed to truly have vibrant schools and communities?
- The idea that all people come with something to offer rather than empty buckets ready to be filled.
- That the way to close gaps is by building on assets.
- The idea it is right to redress the wrongs of the past.
- The idea that schools need to respond to the needs of the community.
- That the community knows what it needs better than anyone else.
- That healing is paramount to a healthy future.
Those are just some of the idea’s that I think are necessary. We would love to hear yours. Join us Thursday from 6-7:30 at the Northside Economic Opportunity Network to share your ideas and find out who has the same vision.